Among the most important fundamentals, a proper handgun grip ensures you'll put rounds on target.
Next to sight alignment and trigger control, a proper handgun grip is among the most important fundamentals of accurate shooting. And contrary to popular belief, there’s more to it than simply grabbing your heater.
Essentially, a fundamental handgun grip has four parts to it:
- Strong Hand Placement – High as possible on the handgun’s grip.
- Alignment – The bore should line up with your forearm.
- Support Hand Placement – Wrapped around your strong hand and applying 80 percent of the pressure to your grip.
- Thumb Placement – Stack strong hand over support with a pistol or support hand lapping strong with a revolver.
Nothing too tough and, when done properly, it gives you complete control over your pistol or revolver while managing recoil. Yet, for some, there might still be a hitch in their giddyap. The grip might be textbook, proper finger placement on the trigger impossible. It happens more often than you’d figure. Generally, it means you’ll either have to swap out for smaller backstraps (if that’s an option on your pistol) or go hunting for a better fitting gun.
If this isn’t an issue, your still not out of the wood in developing a proper handgun grip. The next step is practice, practice and some more practice. Getting a handle on your gun takes programming your grip to muscle memory. It needs to become second nature. The good news is, it simply means spending more time with your firearm.
Best Starter Kit for Concealed Carry:
Disclosure: Some of these links are affiliate links. Caribou Media Group may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
For more information on Walther, please visit www.waltherarms.com.
For more information Panteao Productions, please visit www.panteao.com.
Learn How To Run Your Defensive Pistol:
- The Advantage Of Shooting From The Kneeling Position
- Effectively Shooting From Cover Or Concealment
- Choosing The Right Concealed Carry Pistol
- Perfecting The Failure Drill For Self-Defense