Adding two popular self-defense calibers to the Hydra-Shok lineup, Federal Premium has armed citizens covered.
How Hydra-Shok Deep improves on the original:
- 50-percent greater penetration than original Hydra-Shok.
- 15-inches of penetration in bare ballistic gel and through heavy clothing.
- Improved center post that helps bullet retain structural integrity.
- Better barrier penetration.
Released a year ago, Hydra-Shok Deep was Federal Premium’s attempt to improve on a legend. With an improved core design, the defensive rounds were devised to provide 50-percent deeper penetration than original Hydra-Shok. Furthermore, the hollow point’s trademark post in the center was beefed up, creating a projectile that retained more of its structural integrity through barriers. The only problem was Hydra-Shok Deep was strictly a 9mm affair … until now.
Federal Premium tacked on additional loads for the .40 S&W and .45 ACP for 2019, which means the line now has an option for the most popular defensive semi-auto pistol calibers in use today. The .40 S&W Hydra-Shok Deep is a 165-grain load with a muzzle velocity of 1,050 fps and the .45 ACP is a 210-grain load which leaves the muzzle at 980 fps. According to Federal, the new Hyrda-Shok loads have shipped to distributors, so should appear on store shelves soon.
More Ammo Posts:
From Federal Premium:
ANOKA, Minnesota – – Federal unveils two new Federal Premium Hydra-Shok Deep loads that better meet modern handgun performance measurements. Shipments have been delivered to dealers.
In 2018, Federal reinvented the proven Hydra-Shok bullet design with Hydra-Shok Deep in 9mm Luger. Now, it has expanded the line with new loads in 40 S&W and 45 Auto. The bullets feature a more robust center post and a core design that penetrates to critical depths through common self-defense barriers, without over-penetrating.
Features & Benefits
- Now available in 40 S&W and 45 Auto
- Penetrates 15 inches in bare ballistics gel and through heavy clothing — the optimal depth according to FBI standards
- Improved penetration to optimal depths
- Significant improvement in FBI protocol score
- Iconic center post design has been improved for better, more consistent expansion through standard barriers
- Consistent, specially formulated propellant
- Extremely reliable Federal primer
Part No. / Description / MSRP
P9HSD1 / 9mm Luger 135-grain Hydra-Shok Deep HP / $27.95
P40HSD1 / 40 S&W 165-grain Hydra-Shok Deep HP / $31.95 NEW
P45HSD1 / 45 Auto 210-grain Hydra-Shok Deep HP / $33.95 NEW
For more information on Federal ammunition, visit www.federalpremium.com.